Every year I write down my ideas for gardening projects. It helps me to put down some thoughts and map out where my garden needs to go throughout the season. I won't be able to accomplish every project on the list but it does give me some direction. At the end of the year I'll go back and see how well I achieved my project goals like I did in my last post for 2012. Now, let's take a look what I'm planning for 2013!
Dave's 2013 Garden Projects
- Install the garden fence. Yep I still haven't gotten a fence built around the vegetable garden yet. It's been years now since this project first appeared on my list. Maybe by putting it at the top of this list I'll finally get it accomplished! For fencing I'm leaning toward a wood frame with wire. Each frame will fit between the posts to enclose the garden and keep it safe from deer or rabbits.
Build more raised beds! Many of my raised beds have given way to the forces of nature but I also have some new ideas on raised bed styles and materials I want to try in my garden. I'm hoping that these new raised beds will become models for the edible garden business that I'm developing. (There's another project in the works!) My goal is to come up with at least 5 different styles of raised beds and build them over the next few months. In case you are planning a similar project here are some tips for designing a garden with raised beds.
- Build a new compost bin setup! I've been using a set of old wooden pallets for a while now. They've been effective but I would like a large bin setup as well as something that looks a little nicer!
- Build a grape arbor. I have several grape vines that need an arbor to help them grow. A simple post and wire design is my plan.
- Use up my scrap lumber and wood! I have a pile of scrap lumber that I've collected under a tarp in the back of the yard. It would be nice to get some projects done that will use up the wood before it becomes unusable. One potential project from this pile is an arbor I can put together using some reclaimed front porch posts.
- Prune my dappled willow hedge! To this date I've never really given my dappled willows the trim they need. They've grown large and a good pruning will help freshen up the hedge row quite a bit. Besides it also will give me plenty of material for willow cuttings!
Transplant the caryopteris row. Over the years the caryopteris plants have grown large and strong but so have the crape myrtles that are nearby. It's time to plant something else in this location that prefers more shade that the caryopteris plants do. Hydrangeas are a distinct possibility.
- Repair our back deck. Our deck was never in great shape since we bought the house and since then it has deteriorated some. There is even a rail that needs replaced due to a warped post. I'm not sure how I want the deck designed yet but that will give me something to think about over the winter!
- Continue to work on a book! I'm trying my hand at a garden book that maybe one day will be published. I'm not ready to share the subject material just yet but I'm hoping it will be very useful to home vegetable gardeners. I don't have any kind of publishing deal on the table so it may end up as an e-book. Of course if there's a publisher reading this post who is interested please contact me! ;)
As you can see there will be plenty for this gardener to work on in 2013! I hope you'll continue to follow along on Facebook
, through the subscriber feed
, or here on the blog to see how things go over the next year. If you've planned a project list share a link in the comments so we can see what you're planning to get into!
May 2013 be your best year yet!
Labels: 2013 Project List, garden projects, garden to-do list, Gardening Projects