Propagating Rosemary in Water (The Herbs)

Rosemary is an herb we use frequently in our cooking, at least when we have it around. In years past I've been able to walk out the front door and cut a few sprigs off the large rosemary bushes in front of our steps. Unfortunately that isn't the case anymore. My two main rosemary plants both died due to the extremely cold and extremely long winter we had. They had been in place for about three years and I really liked them as a landscape element as well as a culinary one. But when you are working with living things they can't last forever. Fortunately rosemary is very easy to propagate which means that my two plantings in the front will hopefully be replaced very soon. You see one of my planting strategies is to make several cuttings and put them in different areas. Every garden around our house has a different micro-climate (some much more than others) that increases the odds of at least one plant surviving. Luckily I had one rosemary left planted next to our patio and near the grill with its black cover. Both the grill and the patio gathered heat during the day and released it at night keeping that area a little bit warmer during the winter. It's also on the sunny side of the house which helps a good deal in the cold season.


How to Propagate Rosemary:

To propagate rosemary all you need to do is take a few cuttings like the one in the first picture.  It's about 6 inches long. Then I stripped the leaves off the bottom of the branch. This part of propagating rosemary makes a perfect opportunity to do a little culinary magic! Then I stuck it in the jar of water below. In a week or two these cuttings should start rooting and I can plant them outside where I want them.You could probably put your cuttings directly in moist sand or rooting medium and have them root also. Layering is another technique that works well.


Rosemary is great in pots and planters but I like to plant it in the garden. Deer and rabbits never bother it.


I know I've talked about this before but I figured this might be useful for some of the newer readers. The water method is also great for propagating your basil!


Labels: , ,