Here's What Rooted Today

Plant Propagation, perennials
Rooted Cuttings - Potted up
Perhaps I should have titled this post "Here's What I Potted Up Today" but rooting is more exciting don't you think? Anyway this morning I potted several different kinds of cuttings that I've been propagating inside the house. This isn't the end of the propagation process since they still need to grow stronger root systems in while sitting in their own pots but they've come along way from the little twigs they were a few weeks ago. This is one of the most exciting parts of gardening to me - making new plants from little pieces of other plants. In the picture to the right I have 25 well rooted plants that will be grown on for a couple more weeks before planting in the yard.

Here's what rooted:

Plant Propagation, perennials

Plant Propagation, perennials
Plant Propagation, perennials
Plant Propagation, perennials

Plant Propagation, perennials









In each of these cases I used very similar techniques to get rooting to work. The rooting time varies for each plant but all of these plants rooted within the last four weeks. Most of them within the last two. Caryopteris only needs a few days but the 'Husker's Red' penstemon took almost four weeks for good roots to happen. Once the penstemon rooted the roots began taking off! I'll write more about 'Husker's Red' Penstemon propagation later in the week as well as Veronica (Speedwell).

What plants would you like to read more about propagating?

Labels: ,