Four Favorite Plants

I've seen many posts around the garden blogosphere about signature plants. That's a hard one for me because there are so many plants I like and every year I find a new one that seems to be the best of the best. Picking one plant from the hundreds of thousands of possibilities really seems futile. So rather than talk about signature plants why not just mention some favorites?  These aren't my most favorite plants, since I'm declining to pick one favorite, but they are definitely plants I think are very worthwhile to plant in the garden!

A Favorite Annual

While I could go with the old standard of coleus (which I plant every year because coleus is cool!) I'm going to mention Persian Shield or Strobinlanthus dyerianus. Its foliage is a blend of green, purple, and silver hues. Here in Tennessee it's an annual but in areas further south it can be perennial. I've been overwinter cuttings of it to plant this spring and they are very ready to see the outdoors again!

A Favorite Perennial

While one of my favorites is salvia and another is 'Powis Castle' artemisia I'm going to skip both of those for now and mention one much more common perennial just because it is a favorite in so many beautiful gardens. Rudbeckia is well deserving of that sentiment!  There are so many varieties of rudbeckia (some perennial and some annual) to choose from with a variety of colors.

A Favorite Shrub

I'm really a big fan of beautyberry bushes. In the fall the purple clusters of berries stand out as much as any other plant's blossoms could. It's easy to care for, feeds wildlife, looks great, and is very easy to propagate! What more can a plant propagation nut ask for?

A Favorite Tree

For a flowering ornamental tree my favorite is still the 'Yoshino' Cherry. It's a nice shade tree throughout the growing months but very soon it will stand out among all the other flowering trees with beautiful white blossoms. To me, 'Yoshino' Cherry trees are the essence of what spring brings pristine, white blossoms that usher in the warmer months. They aren't the first to bloom, but maybe they are the best!




Garden Blogger Assignment

I bet you have four favorite plants too! Tell us about your four favorite plants by picking one per category and I'll post a link to your post.  Don't forget to visit other bloggers who post about their four favorite plants and see what they enjoy.

Completed Assignments:

Labels: