This week is greenhouse week! My wife took the kids to her parent's house and left me to work on my greenhouse project
. While I have no illusions of getting the project completed I do hope I get a major chunk of the groundwork done so that I can tinker throughout the fall until it's finished, hopefully just in time for seed starting. I have no pictures to share with you today of the greenhouse but hopefully tomorrow evening I will.
Today's greenhouse accomplishments included:
- Cutting down a dangerous 30 foot tall hackberry tree. It was also infested with woolly aphids that secreted honeydew everywhere. The honeydew subsequently mildewed which created a black inky substance all over our willow tree. I definitely did not want that happening near the greenhouse so I removed the tree. It also opened up the area for nicer trees like redbuds, dogwoods, and an oak to get more light. Less competition for light, soil nutrients, and water should mean healthier trees. The hackberry tree has one main positive quality in that it feeds wildlife. Since clearing them out should help the dogwoods grow better (which also feed wildlife) I don't mind doing it.
- We gathered the materials for phase two of the greenhouse project which I'll tell you more about tomorrow but included various types of lumber and concrete bags for post setting.
- We finished digging the holes for the posts and cleaning out the greenhouse area of topsoil. Digging nine 2 foot deep holes isn't a piece of cake.
Now it's time to get some rest so I can get to work tomorrow!