I've been framed! The greenhouse-shed almost is framed that is. The framing is coming along slower than I had hoped and as usual my goals prove to be loftier than time actually allows. I do this to myself all the time with projects, underestimating the actual amount of time necessary to complete it. My goal for Wednesday was to finish framing the walls but I'm only about halfway there. The time consuming part of it is making sure that each window area is custom fit to house the random selection of windows I've collected. Into each section extra time is spent thinking and planning to make sure we do it right.
Wednesday we managed to complete the picture window side (West), the front side, and frame some of the other two sides. We framed enough to remove the braces from the structure. As we framed we made sure that the posts were still straight and in some cases were able to correct some minor warping caused by the natural tendency of wood to warp!
Thursday's Task List:
- Finish framing the east and south sides. The east side will use patio doors attached to the wall for windows and the south side will have the back door for the mower to and a window.
- Cut the ends of the posts. The top parts of the posts are a little too high and need to be trimmed down about 8 inches to the actual height of the structure.
Things I won't get done this week:
- The siding. I'm planning on covering the sides with plywood and an additional wood siding. Jenny picked out some colors that she liked (and I did too) a couple weeks ago to stain the outside of the greenhouse. Can you guess what color she liked?
- The roof. I'm not even close to putting this together yet. If I had all of Friday I might be able to start on it but thanks to the 70% chance of rain on Friday I doubt any construction will be possible. I'm just lucky I have Today (Thursday)!
- Adding Gravel. The base needs a whole bunch more gravel to add to the floor. On top of the gravel I'm planning on using brick or stone pavers for a hard walking surface.
- All Kinds of other things! Setting the windows, putting in the doors, attacking hinges to various windows for opening, a quite a few other things I probably haven't thought about yet!
Labels: garden structures, Gardening Projects, greenhouse