While I didn't intend to talk about weeds today I was out weeding the vegetable garden last night and had some thoughts on the weeds that I thought I would share. Worst Weed Wednesday was last week but with weeds there is always more to say so here are 5 things weeds do!
- Crowd out plants
- Propagate like crazy through runners and seeds. If there is open ground weeds will be found!
- Are just plain annoying.
- Block the sunlight from reaching the vegetables and ornamentals.
- Suck the moisture away from the vegetables and ornamental plants.
- Sap the nutrients from the soil making them unavailable for the "good guys".
- Are always where you don't want them. But then again, if you wanted them they wouldn't be weeds.
- Can take over large areas in a very short time. They grow fast and few barriers can really stop them.
- Have the annoying habit of working their way into places you can't reach.
And if you want my personal opinion, piece the italicized words together to make a sentence!
Labels: Weeds in the Garden