Muhly Grass (Muhlenbergia capillaris)

I finally found some Muhly grass (Muhlenbergia capillaris) to add to the garden. It's been on my radar for a while and it was even more desired after seeing it in such impressive displays at Frances' Garden! Yesterday I planted it in our Japanese maple garden next to the Miscanthus sinensis 'Morning Light' that I had already planted. The miscanthus will be moved later but the muhly grass will stay. I like the combination of the pinkish seed heads with the red foliage of the Japanese maple (Acer palmatum). Whenever I buy a plant I look to see if I can sneak a few more out of the pot. Call me cheap, frugal, or whatever you want I like getting more plants for my money! With the Pink muhly grass I was able to get two sizable plants and one little offshoot. I made the division with a shovel and one little sprig of grass fell loose (grasses are not supposed to be divided in the fall, just call me a rebel - spring is much safer!). I decided to pot it up since it had roots attached to hopefully make a new one for next year. With a plant this attractive who wouldn't want more?


It's a great plant for fall color!


Edit: I later purchased two more Muhly grass plants from a mailorder nursery and was disappointed with the size and the shipping of that company. For that reason I do recommend trying to find it at a local nursery before ordering it through the mail. By comparison the nursery Muhly had 2-3 more years growth on it than the mailorder and was only a little more expensive. Of course if you can't find it locally go for the mailorder - better a small Muhly than no Muhly!

Labels: , ,