A Touch of Whimsy in the Garden

This month's Garden Design workshop at Gardening Gone Wild is all about Whimsy in the Garden. Unfortunately my garden is not the most whimsical that you will find, in fact far from it. My sense of whimsical garden implements dodges the garden gnomes and household items that other gardeners are prone to plant amongst the hostas and heucheras. Truthfully there are very few whimsical ideas lurking underneath our foliage but I can tell you that my whimsical senses would venture toward the more mystical gazing balls and dragon statuaries. In my mind I have the perfect place to for a dragon statue near the 'Dragon's Blood' sedum, although I'm not sure what my wife would think of that! Some whimsical elements will eventually wind up in our garden but for now the whimsy you are about to see in this post is in my mother-in-law's garden.

From the vegetable garden to the flower beds each has a little element of whimsy for the casual observer to see. Inlaid in the natural stone wall surrounding the vegetable garden is a stone that reads "Grandma's Garden Grandpa's Weeds."



Here are grandpa and grandma themselves sitting next to Tennessee Volunteers birdhouse. Yes here in Tennessee you must have a bit of orange in the garden!


Among the many statuettes in her gardens is this little dachshund. It represents their little dog Molly.


In another spot is this toad house. I'm not sure that anyone lives here but perhaps Mr. Toad is off taking a wild ride, you never know!


Stone birdbaths make great additions to a garden. Aside from the structural element they provide birdbaths attract birds by giving them a place to bathe on a hot summer day. Beneath the birdbath is another statue, this time of three children. Again this one represents something from her life, her three children.


Sometimes planters can look very whimsical as is the case with this turtle.



No need to fear these bunnies taking a nibble on the hostas.


Here are the ducks playing in the mulch.


Squirrels have a place in the garden also, as long as they aren't rooting up the garden looking for acorns.


Hmm...kissing in the garden are we?


Slow and steady. Although slower than most other breeds of turtle the stone turtle can be a welcome addition to the garden. They are fairly docile and don't eat m(any) plants while they quietly make their home beneath the shade of the perennials.



There's a touch of whimsy from my mother-in-law's garden. I'll show the whimsy in my garden later in the week!

Labels: , ,