Get in the Zone

When I'm planning my yard I like to think in what I call Zones. Each zone in itself is a mini-garden. Sometimes the zones have their own micro-climate due to wind exposure, sun exposure, and other environmental conditions like moisture and hardscaping. Over the next couple weeks I'm going to talk about the zones I have planned for my yard. Each zone will eventually connect together to form one large garden. The mini-gardens will either ease into each other blending seamlessly (hopefully) or have pathways that will bring the traveler though the garden. I'm keeping in mind that my goal is probably years away. Working to create the garden I hope to will take some time but by working through zones I can accomplish shorter term goals that will help to fulfill the larger task at hand.

Here are some of the advantages to thinking in zones:

Gardens are easier to plan in small stages.
With zones you see significant progress as you go.
When you create a zone you make a point of interest in your yard.
Zones are easier to arrange plants with the same water and light requirements together.


Below is a short list of garden zones I hope to create. I'll elaborate on the ideas in future posts.

The Garden Zones

The Hillside Garden
The Birdbath Garden
The Shade/Fantasy Garden
The Lower Slope
The Side Garden
The Patio Garden
The Veggie Garden
The Herb Garden

I may add more zones to the list as I think of them!

Labels: